Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Cocoa and Toast, Yummmmmm

 Last night I was not able to sleep. I got up to work on my genealogy then decided I was hungry.
After a short time trying to figure out what I wanted I chose on of my childhood favorites, hot cocoa
and toast. I really tasted good.
 That got me thinking about the other things my mom made when I was little. I remember when
I was three or four, I would be outside playing in the yard. I would be wearing my jeans and a
jean jacket. My mother would call me in to eat lunch, she would serve me tomato soup and a grilled
cheese sandwich.
 I have fond memories of waking up at 5am to have breakfast with my daddy before he went to
work. He would pour milk in a coffee mug then add a spot of coffee to color it. I felt so grown up
to be drinking coffee with my Dad.
 For holidays my mother would take dates, stuff them with a piece of walnut then roll them in sugar.
Dates are so sweet they didn't need the sugar, but they looked nicer that way. She also would take
a roll of liverwurst and frost it with cream cheese then roll it in bacon pieces. We would spread this on
crackers. It was a lot better than it sounds.
 My dad had some favorite foods that I did not like at all like pickled pigs feet, sardines, and
oyster stew.
 It would be interesting to hear from others about their favorite childhood foods.

1 comment:

  1. Margie, I really enjoyed your post. Oddly enough, I think the liverwurst sounds good... lol... We used to eat sugar sandwiches at my grandma's house, a favorite food I had not thought of for years until now. Looking forward to reading more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete